Text messaging proves to be a baffling foreign language for parents

Francis Hult francis.hult at UTSA.EDU
Fri Feb 8 01:06:43 UTC 2008

Jewish Light

Text messaging proves to be a baffling foreign language for parents

Kids seem to speak their own language. They always have; they always will. After all, young people sort of share the same tongue, and some of them pierce their tongues as well, but that's another fad.

Sari calls her girlfriend at school "BFF", (Best Friends Forever), and Jack constantly tells me, "TMI", (Too Much Information), whenever I have to explain any kind of bodily function. Even the overused, full-of-attitude word, Whatever, is shortened to just "WE."

The latest style of "QSO" (conversation) seems innocent enough, but these abbreviations are actually derived from an even more bizarre communication called text messaging.

This text-based lingo twists the alphabet into secret codes that encourage "KPC," (Keeping Parents Clueless) and causes lots of "CSG," (Chuckle, Snicker, Grin) toward anyone who doesn't get it.

Full text:

http://www.stljewishlight.com/topstories/26500659145103.php