CFP: SALSA (Symposium About Language and Society-Austin)

Francis Hult francis.hult at UTSA.EDU
Wed Jan 9 18:44:16 UTC 2008

http://studentorgs.utexas.edu/salsa/symposium/CFP.htm

Call for Papers
University of Texas at Austin
April 11-13, 2008

Submission Deadline: January 16th, 2008

The Symposium About Language and Society- Austin is pleased to annouce its 16th annual meeting to be held at the University of Texas at Austin. We encourage the submission of abstracts on research that addresses the relationship of language to culture and society. Desired frameworks include but are not limited to:

Linguistic Anthropology

Sociolinguistics

Ethnography of Communication

Language and Identity

Speech Play, Verbal Art, and Poetics

Language, Media, and Technology

Language and Social Interaction

Language and Politics

Discourse Analysis

Conversation Analysis

Language Vitality

Language Socialization

Gesture and Talk in Interaction

Papers delivered at the conference will be published as a special edition of the Texas Linguistic Forum. Speakers will be allowed 20 minutes for presentation and 10 minutes for discussion. Papers will be selected on the basis of an anonymous review process.

All submissions must include TWO abstracts: An extended abstract not to exceed 4,100 characters and spaces (approximately 600 words), including references and examples; and a shorter abstract not to exceed 1,100 spaces and characters (approximately 150 words).

NOTE: The online submission form does not accept special formatting or text such as IPA.

Only electronic submissions sent through our online form will be accepted. Each person is limited to ONE submission as the primary author; multiple submissions by the same first author will not be accepted.

See Submission Guidelines for more information.