South Africa: Why our schools don't work...

Francis Hult francis.hult at UTSA.EDU
Sun Jan 13 19:04:18 UTC 2008

Via lgpolicy...

Why our schools don't work...
 Published:Jan 13, 2008

 We should aim for schools small enough for the principal to know the
name of every child

Who do teachers turn to when faced with social problems - often
manifesting in discipline problems?

And 10 tips on how to fix them
1. We have underestimated the time needed for change and we have not
invested enough energy in building a consensus that can sustain
change:

Our national expectations have emphasised rapid deliverables. But the
pace and volume of change have not allowed the system to absorb
change, and we have failed to involve all necessary parties
sufficiently in the process. Many communities feel alienated from the
changes in education and have lost their voice. Relationships between
teachers and the state are dominated by labour relations issues, and
seldom is there an inclusive national discourse that moves from
"blaming" to focus on what support teachers need and how to achieve
quality improvement.

What needs to be done?
We need to maintain robust relationships to improve the conditions of
service of teachers - but we also need vigorous and inclusive debates
about educational issues. Where is the National Education and Training
Council, envisaged in the National Education Policy Act of 1996? It
has never been established. Education debate has been marginalised.

How long will this take?
It is possible to get the forum established (and replicated at
provincial and local levels) and a national debate on track this year.

Full story:
http://www.thetimes.co.za/PrintEdition/Article.aspx?id=678186