Inquiry: Language tests

p960 at BELLSOUTH.NET p960 at BELLSOUTH.NET
Wed Jul 9 23:58:34 UTC 2008

Tobias,
I do not work in language test development, but I have taught assessment on various occasions. I use the following bibliography as references when I explain the concept of "construct". Honestly, I have not found any theories related to its development. According to Crocker and Algina, constructs depend on the domain targeted by the test and the attributes to locate.

Here is part of this bibliography with some comments related to your inquiry:

1. Introduction to Classical and Modern Test Theory by Linda Crocker and James Algina (ISBN 0-03-061634-4 published by Wadsworth - Thomson Learning, http://www.wadsworth.com). Chapter 1 discusses very well the definition of constructs and some problems in measurement of psychological constructs. They link the definition of constructs to the existence of a test theory as a discipline.

2. Standards for Educational and Psychological Testing by the American Educational Research Association, the American Psychological Association, and the National Council on Measurement in Education (ISBN 0-935302-25-5 published by the American Education Research Association) . These standards provide explanations to the various types of constructs (i.e. construct description, construct equivalent tests, construct overlap, construct representation, and construct underrepresentation).

3. Measurement Error and Research Design by Madhu Viswanathan (ISBN 141290642-3 published by SAGE Publications, http://www.sagepublications.com). This book discusses the nature of constructs from various perspectives including social science, qualitative research, physiological research, philosophical aspects, bias, definitions, dimensions, direct measure, indicators, distinguishing, latent, observer judgements, physical measure, and other aspects like psychological ones.

4. Psychological Testing and Assessment: An Introduction to Tests and Measurement by Ronald Jay Cohen and Mark E. Swerdlik (ISBN 0-07-288767-2 published by McGraw-Hill Higher Education, http://www.mhhe.com). This book discusses the term construct from various perspectives. Probably, the article: Pollard, R. Q. (1993). 100 years in psychology and deafness: A centennial retrospective. Journal of Applied Psychology, 85, 21-29 might help you focus the concept of construct within the target group of your test.

5. Introduction to Measurement Theory by Mary J. Allen and Wendy M. Yen (ISBN 1-57766-230-X published by Waveland Press, Inc. (http://www.waveland.com). This book provides a brief yet rich history of measurement and highlights the book by Philip H. Du Bois (1970) A History of Psychological Testing as the main source to trace the history of measurement theory. Additionally, it points out that Cronbach and Meehl (1955) coined and developed the term 'construct validity' (p. 108). Probably, if you are able to locate their article, you might have an idea of what criteria they used to developed this type of validity. This is the info. for the article: Cronbach, L. J., & Meehl, P. E. Construct validity in psychological tests. Psychological Bulletin, 1955, 52, 281-302.

Finally, you might need to contact the International Language Testing Association (http://www.iltaonline.com) and the National Council on Measurement in Education. The American Psychological Association is also an excellent source.

Hope this helps and auf wiedersehen, und Viel Glueck!

Pedro Nino (aber Peter Kind auf Deutsch).

-------------- Original message from Tobias Haug <tobias.haug at signlang-assessment.info>: --------------