Canada: Language education funds not enough: ministers

Francis Hult francis.hult at UTSA.EDU
Wed Jul 16 19:28:29 UTC 2008

Times & Transcript

Language education funds not enough: ministers

Kelly Lamrock and his provincial counterparts are "disappointed" that the federal government won't increase funding to official languages education over the next five years.

In a press release issued yesterday on behalf of the Council of Ministers of Education Canada, Lamrock, chairman of the council, said they originally had high expectations of Ottawa.

"Our partnership with the federal government over the past years has been very productive, but we feel it is essential that the Government of Canada enhance its support to assist us in our ongoing efforts," Lamrock said.

Joseph Dicks, director of the Second Language Research Institute at the University of

New Brunswick, noted that the funding did stay the same, but added that "with the emphasis on increasing the amount of bilingualism in the country, it would have been advantageous for amounts to go up rather than stay the same."

Full story:

http://timestranscript.canadaeast.com/news/article/354626