Why does anyone learn Esperanto?

Francis Hult francis.hult at UTSA.EDU
Wed Jul 16 19:40:45 UTC 2008

BBC News

Why does anyone learn Esperanto?

Littlewoods Direct is using a language constructed in the 19th Century, Esperanto, to launch a new clothing range. Who still learns this language, and why?

"Mi superfantazia eltravo alporti plu vesoiji."

This is the Esperanto for "Behold my fantastic invention to bring us more beautiful clothes."

Perhaps not a phrase language students will have much use for, but this forms the dialogue in Littlewoods Direct's latest advert featuring the queen of a desert island speaking Esperanto.

"We believe it is a language that not only sounds beautiful, but exists to create harmony in the world, making this the perfect choice," says a Littlewoods spokesman.

Full story:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/magazine/7505820.stm