Canada: 'New model' for French education by September

Francis Hult francis.hult at UTSA.EDU
Mon Jul 28 16:53:53 UTC 2008

The Daily Gleaner

'New model' for French education by September

The consultation period on French second-language education is over and Education Minister Kelly Lamrock said he's confident a new model for teaching French can be implemented by September.

Local lobby groups that have been following the debate on French education reforms say the past six weeks of consultation has them optimistic that Lamrock is listening to ideas and concerns.

But it hasn't stopped them from worrying about the announcement on second-language programming expected in August.

"I'm a worrier, so I'll just be worried until the announcement for new programming is made on Aug. 5," said Rob Hoadley, spokesman for Citizens for Education Choice.

"I think we've given the minister lots to think about. Now that we're moving away from the consultation period, I hope he keeps in mind all the proposals that have been submitted and tries to make a fair decision."

Full story:

http://dailygleaner.canadaeast.com/cityregion/article/366164