Philippines: Korean teachers here to learn English teaching

Francis Hult francis.hult at UTSA.EDU
Thu Jul 31 14:54:13 UTC 2008

Inquirer.net

Korean teachers here to learn English teaching

For several years now, Korean children have been coming to the Philippines to attend English camps. On board my flight from Seoul last week, I counted about 100 Korean children all wearing blue T-shirts and with ID cards hanging from their necks. One teacher was carrying all their passports. I took photos while they were boarding. They looked like they were from elementary school.

Now it is the Korean teachers' turn to come and learn how to teach English and use English for teaching. The first batch of Korean teachers arrived Tuesday last week for a month-long training in English teaching. Education and tourism officials call this "education tourism." There is environmental tourism, medical tourism, rest/recreation/retirement tourism and now you have education tourism.

Full story:

http://opinion.inquirer.net/inquireropinion/columns/view/20080730-151707/Korean-teachers-here-to-learn-English-teaching