call for paper HDLS08

Susan Metheny natemaol at EARTHLINK.NET
Sun Jun 8 17:21:38 UTC 2008

Please see below for the HDLS CFP (apologies for cross posting):

*The* Eighth High Desert Linguistics Society Conference (HDLS-8)* will
be held at the University of New Mexico, Albuquerque, *November, 6-8,
2008*.

/Keynote speakers/

Sherman Wilcox (University of New Mexico)

Marianne Mithun (University of California, Santa Barbara)

Gilles Fauconnier (University of California, San Diego)

We invite you to submit proposals for 20-minute talks with 5-minute
discussion sessions in any area of linguistics – especially those from a
cognitive / functional linguistics perspective. This year we will
include a poster session.

Papers and posters in the following areas are particularly welcome:

* Evolution of Language, Grammaticization, Metaphor and Metonymy,
Typology, Discourse Analysis, Computational Linguistics, Language
Change and Variation
* Native American Languages, Spanish and Languages of the American
Southwest, Language Revitalization and Maintenance
* Sociolinguistics, Bilingualism, Signed Languages, First Language
Acquisition, Second Language Acquisition, Sociocultural Theory

The deadline for submitting abstracts is *Friday, August 22nd, 2008*.

Abstracts should be sent via email, as an attachment, to hdls at unm.edu
<mailto:hdls at unm.edu>. Please include the title ''HDLS-8 abstract '' in
the subject line. Include the title “HDLS-8 Poster Session” in the
subject line for abstracts submitted for the poster session. MS-Word
format is preferred; RTF and PDF formats are accepted. You may also send
hard copies of abstracts (three copies) to the HDLS address listed at
the bottom of the page.

The e-mail and attached abstract must include the following information:

1. Author's name(s)
2. Author's affiliation(s)
3. Title of the paper or poster
4. E-mail address of the primary author
5. A list of the equipment you will need
6. Whether you will require an official letter of acceptance

The abstract should be no more than one page in no smaller than 11-point
font. A second page is permitted for references and data. Only two
submissions (for presentations) per author will be accepted and we will
only consider submissions that conform to the above guidelines. If your
abstract has special fonts or characters, please send your abstract as a
PDF. Please be advised that shortly after the conference a call for
proceedings will be announced.

Poster Session - Participants will be given a space approximately 6' by
4' to display their work.

Notification of acceptance will be sent out by *September 2nd , 2008*.

If you have any questions or need for further information please contact
us at hdls at unm.edu <mailto:hdls at unm.edu> with ''HDLS-8 Conference'' in
the subject line. You may also call Grandon Goertz, 505-277-6764 or Evan
Ashworth, 505-228-4751. The HDLS mailing address is: HDLS, Department of
Linguistics, MSC03 2130, 1 University of New Mexico, Albuquerque, NM.
87131-001 USA

Susan K. Metheny/ susanwm at unm.edu
Ph.D. Student in Educational Linguistics
Program Coordinator for 2008
Center for the Mathematics Education of Latino/as Students (CEMELA)
Department of Educational Specialties
University of New Mexico
Albuquerque, NM  87131

A life that is not given so that humble and insignificant people can
live, is a wasted life.

Anna Politkovskaya

I take a perverse approach to anything that is offered as simplistic or
finished or universal. My tendency to any of that is to turn it upside
down. Or go at it sideways. Or break it apart. I'm very leery of
anything which is presented as being simple, neat, and finished. I have
strong doubts about any of those things. The human condition defies
simple, neat, finished. I think part of our destiny as human is to
prove that those things are not productive, or are not appropriate for
creative growth.

Shirley Brice Heath