'Why Nigeria Has Not Developed'

Francis Hult francis.hult at UTSA.EDU
Tue Jun 10 14:20:04 UTC 2008

This Day

'Why Nigeria Has Not Developed'

Elder statesman, Chief Anthony Enahoro, has identified inability of Nigerians to appreciate their cultural heritage as one of the factors that is slowing down the  national development.

 According to him, Nigeria is endowed with dynamic culture, but a lot are yet to tap from the existing wide range of knowledge and until this is done, the nation will remain a cripple.

Enahoro said this in Lagos, at  the presentation of two books, "The Futility of the Land use Decree and The case for a peaceful and Friendly Dissolution,"  by Adedapo Adeniran.

He said Nigerians should stop imitating the white man, noting that there cannot be success in self government until citizens learn to speak their local languages without fear or prejudice.

"We are speaking foreign language which is the language of our former masters. How can we talk about self government when  we still speak another man's language? We are still putting ourselves in bondage as long as we do this," he said, and called on parents to impart Nigerians languages on their children and make sure this is replaced with  foreign languages.

Full story:

http://www.thisdayonline.com/nview.php?id=113602