Connecticut: State Credits Heritage Language Schools

Francis Hult francis.hult at UTSA.EDU
Fri Jun 27 12:47:45 UTC 2008

Stateline

States credit foreign language study

For the past few years, Jola Bicki has dutifully brought her two sons to the local Polish language school in New Britain, Conn., for 33 Saturday mornings. For their four-hour-a-week commitment, her boys received no payback other than nurturing a link to their family's heritage.

"When other kids sleep or play or do different programs, I have to drag my kids to school, and they didn't like it," said Bicki, who is on the language school's Board of Directors. "I pay for school, they study language and they get nothing."

But that's about to change, thanks in part to Polish Language School Inc., where Bicki's sons studied. A new law, passed at the school's urging, allows students who attend these heritage schools and pass a language proficiency test to earn up to four elective credits toward fulfilling the state's high school graduation requirement or credit specifically toward a foreign language requirement.

Full story:

http://www.stateline.org/live/details/story?contentId=320478