Pew Hispanic Center study: ESOL students' grades reflect schools

Francis Hult francis.hult at UTSA.EDU
Mon Jun 30 18:13:34 UTC 2008

Bradenton Herald

Study: ESOL  students' grades reflect schools

Florida students whose native language isn't English and typically make low test scores can't always control their performance, a national study group said this week.

The schools where they learn are low-achieving compared to those of majority white and black students. Their schools typically are in central cities, have high student-to-teacher ratios and more students whose families are at or near the poverty level, the Pew Hispanic Center study said.

"It's not just a reflection of the students, but also the schools that are educating them," said Rick Fry, senior research associate of the Washington, D.C.-based think tank.

Manatee County school district officials disagree.

"In Title 1 schools, which are our poorest in Manatee County, our (English learning) students aren't doing any worse than students in any of the other schools," said Judy Laurent, district associate director for federal programs and grants. "In many cases better."

Full story:

http://www.bradenton.com/local/story/706612.html