South Africa: Dispute over language lands school in court

Francis Hult francis.hult at UTSA.EDU
Thu Mar 20 21:00:43 UTC 2008

Sowetan

Dispute over language lands school in court

Parent wants son to be taught isiZulu at a high level.

A KwaZulu-Natal parent has taken Durban High School to court for allegedly teaching her son sub-standard IsiZulu, while languages such as Afrikaans and English were given priority.

Ntombenhle Nkosi is the first parent to take the school to court following the dispute over language transformation in model C schools.

She lodged her complaint at the equality court on behalf of her son against the school and its governing body in October last year.

Nkosi argued that the school was discriminating against her son by teaching his mother tongue, isiZulu, as a second additional language, or third level isiZulu, which should be offered to non-isiZulu speakers.

Nkosi, a Pan South African Language Board (PanSALB), chief executive officer, has paved the way for many parents who have in the past complained about lack of transformation in most former model C schools in the country.

"I became concerned when the results of my son indicated that he was taught isiZulu as an additional language not as a mother tongue.

Full story:

http://www.sowetan.co.za/News/Article.aspx?id=728880