Zambia: Adult Education Lacking Policy Direction

Francis Hult francis.hult at UTSA.EDU
Wed Mar 26 17:30:28 UTC 2008

Via lgpolicy...

Adult Education Lacking Policy Direction
The Times of Zambia (Ndola)

NEWS
Posted to the web 24 March 2008

By Nebert Mulenga

THE absence of appropriate infrastructure and educational materials
for adult literacy in Zambia is now forcing many determined adult
learners to go into formal schools where they have to mix with their
own children. Clara Moyo, 50, a resident of Chipata town in Eastern
Province, stopped school at a tender age. She got married as an
illiterate person, gave birth to 11 children and in the process, had
three grand children. But in 2006, she made a drastic decision to go
back to school!  "I stopped school when I was young because I didn't
know the goodness of education. But when I was elected chairperson (of
some local organisation) I had problems addressing meetings because of
language barrier," she recounts.

"So I went to Katopola basic school in 2006 and started grade eight. I
am now at Chipata Day high school in grade 10. My two boys are in
grade nine, the other one is in grade 12. We are all learning together
as a family."  Ms Moyo is not the only Zambian keen on pursuing
education in old age; there are thousands of other elderly women and
men across Zambia wishing to better their living standards through
attaining higher education.  But they are often inhibited by the lack
of supportive policies and facilities to promote adult literacy.
Zambia is party to several international instruments on promoting
education, including the global Education For All (EFA) goals, whose
main emphasis is on raising literate populations through sound early
childhood care education and development, basic education, and adult
literacy.

Full story:
http://allafrica.com/stories/200803240583.html