Clover Park School District supports preschoolers who are deaf or hard of hearing

Francis Hult francis.hult at UTSA.EDU
Thu Oct 30 17:40:21 UTC 2008

The News Tribune

It's special education, indeed

A new program in the Clover Park School District supports preschoolers who are deaf or hard of hearing.

In teacher Lisa Hough's classroom, pictures of letters loaded in a choo-choo train chug across the wall, and the clatter of rambunctious preschoolers livens the morning lessons.

It's a typical preschool class - almost.

A poster, tacked on a bookcase at kids' height, spells out the alphabet in sign language. As Hough goes over the day's activities with her pint-sized students she asks, "Did we do coloring today?" while fluttering her fingers against her chin. That's the sign for coloring.

One by one, the youngsters respond, "Yes, we did coloring" out loud and in American Sign Language, and check off "coloring" on their daily planner.

This is a typical day in a new preschool for deaf and hard-of-hearing children at Carter Lake Elementary School on McChord Air Force Base.

Full story:

http://www.thenewstribune.com/news/local/story/523013.html