EKU: Department of American Sign Language and Interpreter Education Established

Francis Hult francis.hult at UTSA.EDU
Thu Oct 30 17:55:13 UTC 2008

EKU News Center

Department of American Sign Language and Interpreter Education Established

The newly established Department of American Sign Language and Interpreter Education (ASLIE) at Eastern Kentucky University advances the University as a national leader in a growing field, officials say.

Housed in EKU's College of Education, the Department is unique in the Commonwealth, combining an Interpreter Education Program (a major in interpreting and a minor in American Sign Language), a Center on Deafness and Hearing Loss, and an active outreach in-service training program. In fact, in all the states surrounding Kentucky, only four public institutions have a baccalaureate interpreter education program. Currently, only 34 public and private baccalaureate degree programs are scattered around the U.S.

Speaking at a news conference on Monday, Oct. 27, to formally announce the program, EKU President Doug Whitlock said he remembers a time "years and years ago when Eastern was the first in the state to make a real concerted effort to meet the needs of deaf students. That effort and dedication caused the deaf and hard of hearing to start coming to our campus in large numbers (and) gave the program the traction to grow into the leader in the state.

"Today is a very proud day for EKU," Whitlock added, "and, I think, an indication of our dedication to provide educational services where they are needed."

Full story:

http://www.prm.eku.edu/ekunews/?module=0&article=938