CFP: CIBER conference at Florida International University / CFP

Francis Hult francis.hult at UTSA.EDU
Tue Sep 16 17:21:05 UTC 2008

Via ILR-INFO...

Ciber conference at Florida International University

Florida International University's CIBER is proud to announce the
Language for Business Conference: K-12 and Community College, new
perspectives on developing a language for business course. The day
and a half conference will be held in Miami, October 31st -- November
1st at the Sofitel Hotel. The Conference has the support of
consulates, language associations and cultural organizations and will
bring editorial companies from throughout the world to Miami to
showcase the materials to K-12 teachers and junior community college
professors. We have chosen four language tracks---Spanish,
Portuguese, Chinese and Japanese---concentrating on the most relevant
languages taught in the classroom today.

The program will serve to instruct high school teachers and junior
community college professors on the importance and necessity of
incorporating aspects of Language for Business into the standard
curricula. It will provide teachers and professors with materials and
practical lessons on how to incorporate and develop a course in the
K-12 curricula on Language for Business.
*
We would like to have your support in announcing this conference
among your members as we look forward reaching out to teachers
throughout the U.S.

Thanks to the generosity of our co-sponsors many travel grants are
available for outside the area teachers.
*

If you need more information please do not hesitate to contact us at
305-348-1740 or visit our website at http://ciber.fiu.edu <http://ciber.fiu.edu/>

Thank you and I look forward hearing from you.

Sonia Verdu
FIU-CIBER

    Call for Papers

We welcome proposals that address various aspects of the 2008
conference's overall theme: *Incorporating Languages for Business
into the k-12 Curriculum*. The conference will explore how to equip
students and educators with the linguistic, multicultural and
pedagogical tools necessary to teach Languages for business in
Spanish, Chinese, Japanese, and Portuguese in the K-12 and Junior
College program of studies

Priority will be given to proposals which address the following themes:

            (1) Business Language Instruction

                        "   What is being done in the classroom

                        "   Successful techniques

            (2) Collaborations - on Campus and with the Private Sector

                        "   Interdisciplinary cooperation

                        "   Internships, Corporate partnerships, Study
Abroad

            (3) Expanding the Field

                        "   Business language in k-12 and community
colleges

Please limit your proposals to 200 words, and include the following
information: (1) Name and institutional affiliation; (2) a short bio
(approximately 50 words); (3) Title of paper; (4) Language of
presentation (English is encouraged; target language is fine for
language-specific sessions); and (5) goal(s) of the presentation.

Sessions will last one hour, with three presenters per session. Each
presenter will have 15-20 minutes for the presentation.

*The DEADLINE for proposals is September 26. You will receive notice
of the proposal decision by October 3.*