Minnesota: Indian leaders, lawmakers try to save languages

Francis Hult francis.hult at utsa.edu
Sun Apr 5 16:11:17 UTC 2009

The Bemidji Pioneer

Indian leaders, lawmakers try to save languages

American Indian leaders fear their native languages are being lost, calling the situation a crisis.

"When a person passes away, it is like a whole dictionary that is gone," Lillian Rice told a Minnesota House committee.

A Native American's language, she added, "is the very sense of who we are. ... Without that, we are lost."

Indian leaders are working to save languages, and now the Minnesota Legislature is considering helping the cause. Bills to establish a state-tribal organization to look into the issue are being considered, along with providing $150,000 to help the cause.

Full story:

http://www.bemidjipioneer.com/politics/index.cfm?page=article_bureau&id=50768&legislative_tag=1