Lebanon: English language gaining ground in region

Francis Hult francis.hult at utsa.edu
Tue Dec 8 17:11:51 UTC 2009

The Daily Star

English language gaining ground in region

The demand for learning English is growing in the Middle East, according to Sue Beaumont, the regional director of the British Council in North Africa and the Near East. During a three-day visit to Beirut, Beaumont told The Daily Star that the role of English was ever-increasing in this part of the world. "We definitely see a greater demand for it," she said. "English is a global language, and we encourage people to learn it."

Full story:

http://www.dailystar.com.lb/article.asp?edition_id=1&categ_id=1&article_id=109534