Malaysia: New education policy to uphold Bahasa Malaysia, strengthen English

Francis Hult francis.hult at utsa.edu
Fri Dec 11 17:32:44 UTC 2009

Via lgpolicy...

New education policy to uphold BM, strengthen English
News  2009-12-10 11:51

KUALA LUMPUR, Dec 10 (Bernama) -- After seven tumultuous years, the
government has decided to abolish the Teaching of Science and
Mathematics in English (PPSMI), starting 2012. The hallmark decision
was announced by Deputy Prime Minister Tan Sri Muhyiddin Yassin on
July 8, three months after helming the education ministry.
Muhyiddin's appointment as the education minister showed the
importance attached to education by Prime Minister Datuk Seri Najib
Tun Razak.

The PPSMI will be replaced by a new, two-pronged policy known as
"Upholding the Malay Language and Strengthening the Command of
English," which will not be disadvantageous to either PPSMI defenders
or opponents, but rather strike a balance between them. Muhyiddin
said, "The government's commitment in abolishing the PPSMI should not
be questioned, although it would start only in 2012. The decision is
final, come what may, we have reaffirmed our stand of not reverting to
the old policy."

Full story:
http://www.mysinchew.com/node/32623