Summer Institutes for Language Teachers 7/27-31/2009

Francis Hult francis.hult at utsa.edu
Thu Feb 12 01:14:51 UTC 2009

Via AAAL...

Language and Culture in Sync: Teaching the Pragmatics of a Second Language
July 27-31, 2009, CARLA/University of Minnesota, Minneapolis

A truly daunting challenge for second language learners is to adjust their language use so that it is appropriate for different socio-cultural contexts. How, for example, are learners supposed to address strangers, close friends, or people of higher social status in that culture? While acquiring discourse practices can take learners many years, research has shown that the process can be facilitated through explicit instruction.

This institute provides practical insights for teachers on how to enhance the learning of pragmatics. Participants will have hands-on opportunities to develop activities and materials for the classroom.

This institute is designed for K-16 ESL and foreign language teachers, material developers, curriculum coordinators, teacher educators, administrators, and researchers.

Testimonials from past participants:
Becoming aware and excited about new aspects of teaching are an important part of our continual development as instructors. The professional quality of the workshop, the ideas and experiences of other participants will definitely result in benefits for my students.

Pragmatics positively encourages successful communication, and successful communication means getting what we want. Isn't that what teachers need to motivate and encourage students and to raise all student's achievements? We need this kind of training!

Presenters:
Noriko Ishihara, PhD, Hosei University, Japan
Andrew D. Cohen, PhD, University of Minnesota (guest speaker)

Readings include:

Ishihara, N., & Cohen, A. D. (in press). Teaching and learning pragmatics: Where language and culture meet. Pearson Education (latest manuscript to be shared with all participants)

More information about this institute is available on the
CARLA website at: http://www.carla.umn.edu/institutes/2008/pragmatics.pdf <http://www.carla.umn.edu/institutes/2008/pragmatics.pdf>

Information about registration: http://www.carla.umn.edu/institutes/register.html <http://www.carla.umn.edu/institutes/register.html>