Cashing in on non-English search engines

Francis Hult francis.hult at utsa.edu
Wed Jul 1 16:37:38 UTC 2009

The Industry Standard

Cashing in on non-English search engines

Hundreds of millions of people are surfing at any given time. We in the U.S. (and other English speaking countries) have a tendency to think everyone speaks our language.

While many do, that's not as big an advantage as it seems. Global consumers are over five times more likely to buy from a website with content in their native language.

The foreign language Internet - meaning all web content not in English - is an enormous opportunity for companies to increase revenue, but one that most ignore. In doing so, they're not only throwing away money, they're unnecessarily increasing their competition.

Launching a web page in English instantly pits you against billions of other pages on the search engines. Launching a page in another language can make it much easier to achieve prominence.

Full story:

http://www.thestandard.com/news/2009/06/30/cashing-non-english-search-engines