US: The Death of Cursive

Francis Hult francis.hult at utsa.edu
Fri Jul 3 17:39:09 UTC 2009

Long Island Press

The Death of Cursive

Toby, 21, was an honor student at Walt Whitman High School in South Huntington and is now a biology major at Stony Brook University. He is about to take possession of his first apartment. His prospective landlord hands Toby the lease to sign. His signature? He has none. He scribbles his name. Like tens of thousands who were part of the whole language experiment of the past three decades, Toby has been failed by the system.

What Happened To Our Kids?

Why does our younger generation pretty much write in print today, despite the fact that universally, students are taught cursive in mid-elementary school?

If whole language, a teaching philosophy now known as balanced literacy, has been the focus of our children's education for decades, why do we see so many spelling and grammatical errors in everything we read?

Full story:

http://www.longislandpress.com/2009/07/02/the-death-of-cursive/