Nebraska: How Should We Teach English-Language Learners?

Francis Hult francis.hult at utsa.edu
Mon Jul 6 17:54:39 UTC 2009

Via lgpolicy...

Sunday, July 05, 2009

How Should We Teach English-Language Learners?

  Also listen to this discussion here

This highlights the underlying problem with this issue - education for
ELLs is more about politics than research.

-Patricia

by Claudio Sanchez | NPR

Weekend Edition Sunday, June 28, 2009 · Last week, the Supreme Court
ruled that the state of Arizona has not violated federal laws that
require schools to help students who do not speak, read or write
English. Despite the federal mandates, these kids often fail to do
well in school. So why haven't schools figured out the best way to
teach English to non-English-speaking students?

"The research certainly has in the past shown dual language programs
to be the most effective," says Nancy Rowch.

Rowch oversees instruction for English-language learners in Nebraska.
She swears that building on a child's native language, rather than
discarding it, has proven to be the best way to help kids make the
transition to English - but that's neither here nor there, because the
actual programs that schools use have less to do with research than
with politics and funding.

Full story:

http://texasedequity.blogspot.com/2009/07/how-should-we-teach-english-language.html