How Judge Sotomayor's Second Language Does Make Her More Qualified Than the Average White Guy

Francis Hult francis.hult at utsa.edu
Tue Jul 14 16:07:28 UTC 2009

The Huffington Post

How Judge Sotomayor's Second Language Does Make Her More Qualified Than the Average White Guy

Unlike many of her white classmates, and colleagues, Sotomayor has had to be fluent in multiple languages to make her way in the world. The languages I am referring to are not English and Spanish. I am referring to the additional cultural languages that those of us who are minorities learn to speak at our Ivy-league universities, or in the workplace or at a cocktail reception or on the golf course or at the country club. For some minorities making the transition from their ethnically, racially and economically segregated communities at home, into their predominantly white, predominantly middle and upper class colleges and universities, can feel a lot like heading to a foreign country. (I can imagine that going from a Bronx housing project to Princeton like Judge Sotomayor did, would be enough of a culture shock that one might feel the need for a Frommer's travel guide).

Full story:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/keli-goff/how-judge-sotomayors-seco_b_230349.html

<http://faculty.coehd.utsa.edu/fhult/>