Study calls for new approach to teaching English as a lingua franca

Francis Hult francis.hult at utsa.edu
Mon Jul 20 19:47:15 UTC 2009

Pyhsorg.com

Study calls for new approach to teaching English as a lingua franca

A study at the University of Leicester highlights the need for a new approach to the teaching of English pronunciation given that English is now a lingua franca, with more non-native speakers in the world than native speakers.

It suggests that the emphasis on 'correct' pronunciation of English as depicted in films like 'My Fair Lady' and 'the King and I' should be discontinued in favour mutual intelligibility among non-native speakers, as well as celebrating the national identity of non-native speakers.

Full story:

http://www.physorg.com/news167288681.html