New Zealand: Lifting language schools profile crucial

Francis Hult francis.hult at utsa.edu
Mon Jun 29 16:46:13 UTC 2009

Stuff.co.nz

Lifting language schools profile crucial

Making a language school profitable takes a long time and margins are often very slim, says Tim Mahren Brown, director of Wellington language school the Campbell Institute.

After rents, salaries, GST and agents' commissions are paid, there is not a lot left, he says. On top of that, schools have to put resources into raising the profile of the country because education agents cannot be expected to sell one country exclusively.

"We are the wholesalers, the agents are the retailers and that's why we're so heavily dependent on the agents because we don't have the budget or the resources to tap into this local market to the extent that you need to," Mr Brown says.

Full story:

http://www.stuff.co.nz/business/industries/2544317/Lifting-language-schools-profile-crucial