Malaysia: English can't be mastered through Science and Maths

Francis Hult francis.hult at utsa.edu
Sat Mar 28 16:17:53 UTC 2009

Malaysia Star

English can't be mastered through Science and Maths

There is no argument on the importance of English for international communication and the acquisition of knowledge, using the books and reading materials that we have nowadays.

In fact, in today's world, it is useful if one knows a few other languages, and it is not difficult to learn any language for informal and everyday communication.

After all, one only needs to know a few hundred words in any language to be able to speak in it.

What I find strange is how some people think that by getting our primary school students to study Science and Maths in English, they can improve their understanding of the language. What if the students do not like these two subjects and cannot excel in it? Are they going to be perceived as bad?

Full story:

http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2009/3/27/focus/3565429&sec=focus