Finding fluency: is it feasible in less than 1 year?

Francis Hult francis.hult at utsa.edu
Tue Mar 31 19:33:43 UTC 2009

The Examiner

Finding fluency: is it feasible in less than 1 year?

I think I was under the impression that French was rather easy. I had always excelled in my French classes in the States, and though perhaps I wasn't conscious of my "fausse" idea, I really thought I was a rock star when it came to my speaking ability.

Oh, boy, was I wrong.

A foreign language, when we dabble in a couple courses in high school or at university, is seemingly like an acquaintance whom we see a few times a week. She's a lovely presence, but we don't spend too much time with her, we don't really even realize when she's not there because we are submerged in our own lives, problems, and joys.

Full story:

http://www.examiner.com/x-554-Chicago-Study-Abroad-Examiner~y2009m3d31-Finding-fluency-is-it-feasible-in-less-than-1-year