US: Diversity Will Be a Casualty of Teacher Layoffs

Francis Hult francis.hult at utsa.edu
Tue Mar 31 19:54:45 UTC 2009

New America Media

Diversity Will Be a Casualty of Teacher Layoffs

Corine Coaloca will graduate this May from San Diego State University with two teaching credentials-one in bilingual education, and one in special education. A Mexican American, Coaloca, 24, wants to teach in a border community where her language skills and cultural background will translate well with students.

But her job prospects are not good. This month, California school districts gave pink slips to nearly 27,000 teachers because of steep budget cuts to education. Although public schools are in dire need of teachers like Coaloca-those who mirror the student population of Asian, Latino and black students-budget slashing threatens to decrease diversity in the state teacher workforce.

"What motivates me is thinking of the population I want to serve," she said. "But it's really scary. There are no teacher jobs out there."

Full story:

http://news.ncmonline.com/news/view_article.html?article_id=13cdc2c5470e092465f139f62af39d81