Cal State Northridge: 'Babe Ruth of Deaf Studies' remembered

Francis Hult francis.hult at utsa.edu
Wed Nov 4 23:12:26 UTC 2009

Daily Sundial

'Babe Ruth of Deaf Studies' remembered

As Dr. Lawrence Fleischer gave the final keynote speech at the American Sign Language Teachers Association (ASLTA) conference in Phoenix, Ariz., on Oct. 31, thoughts ran through Jeff Lenham's mind after Fleischer noted that he was planning an "exit" from the deaf studies field.

"I remember sitting in the audience thinking, 'does this mean that you're done with our organization (ASLTA), or are you stepping down and that your daughter is ready to take the lead?'" said Lenham, a deaf studies faculty member.

Full story:

http://sundial.csun.edu/2009/11/%e2%80%98babe-ruth-of-deaf-studies%e2%80%99-remembered/