CFP: Who needs languages? Micro and macro perspectives into language education policies. International conference & 28th Summer School in Jyv äskylä, Finland, June 7-10, 2010.

Francis Hult francis.hult at utsa.edu
Thu Nov 5 16:29:56 UTC 2009

Via Lgpolicy...

2nd Call for Abstracts: Who needs languages? Micro and macro
perspectives into language education policies.
International conference & 28th Summer School in Jyväskylä, Finland,
June 7-10, 2010

We would like to invite you to the international conference on Who
needs languages? Micro and macro perspectives into language education
policies in Jyväskylä, Finland, June 7-10, 2010. The conference is
hosted by the Centre for Applied Language Studies, Department of
Languages and the Language Centre at the University of Jyväskylä.

The conference offers fresh outlooks on language education policy,
acknowledging its multidisciplinary and multidimensional nature, and
its social, cultural and economic dimensions. Where and by whom are
language education policy decisions made, explicitly and/or
implicitly? How do educational systems respond to challenges of
multilingual societies? Critical views will be presented in order to
understand the current developments and challenges of language
education from both micro and macro perspectives. The conference is
simultaneously the 28th International Summer School for Applied
Language Studies at the University of Jyväskylä.

Keynote speakers are Joseph LoBianco (University of Melbourne,
Australia), Clara Keating (Centro de Estudos Sociais, Universidade de
Coimbra, Portugal), and Sue Wright (University of Portsmouth,
England). Additional interactive workshops will be organised by
Christine Helot (University of Strasbourg) and Muiris ÓLaoire
(Institute of Technology, Tralee). The workshop programme will be
further updated during the following months.

The programme of the conference consists of plenary sessions, invited
workshops, parallel paper sessions, and poster sessions. It is also
possible to propose a thematic  or symposium session, consisting of
3-4 presentations or a panel. Please contact the organisers at
whoneedslanguages (at) jyu.fi if you wish to propose a session. The
working language of the conference is English, but we encourage the
use and visibility of other languages in bilingual/ multilingual
handouts, slides etc. We encourage participants to discuss issues
which focus on the conference theme. The paper and poster proposals
are submitted via the conference website (see
www.jyu.fi/whoneedslanguages).

The deadline for submissions is January 15, 2010. Notification of
acceptance or rejection will take place by February 28, 2010, after
the conference board has reviewed the submissions.

We look forward to seeing you in Jyväskylä in 2010!