CFP: 2010 Second Language Acquisition and Teaching Roundtable (University of Arizona)

Francis Hult francis.hult at utsa.edu
Thu Nov 12 15:05:08 UTC 2009

Via ILR-INFO...

INTERSECTIONS IN SECOND LANGUAGE ACQUISITION
In the field of SLA, we are situated in the fluid intersection of theory and practice, teaching and learning, researching and being researched. Our life experiences shape our research interests and perspectives. This year's Roundtable theme invites participants to explore their place in these intersections.

KEYNOTE SPEAKER: Paul Kei Matsuda

IMPORTANT DATES
Roundtable Dates: February 19-20, 2010
Submission Deadline: December 1, 2009
Notification Schedule: Early January

CATEGORIES

Presentations of Research in Progress: 45 min (30 min talk/15 min Q&A)
These talks will address small audiences of up to 30 participants. Papers representing the strands of the SLAT Program (language pedagogy, assessment, language program administration, language use, language processes, or language analysis) as well as those that bridge these areas are welcome.

Panels: 75 min (15 min ea / 30 min Q&A)
Students (especially pre-dissertation students) are encouraged to create panels of 3 to discuss different perspectives on complicated issues in SLA. Possible topics include: high tech/low tech/no tech, Native/Non-native Teachers, Language Standards/World English, Teaching grammar/Teaching culture, functionalism/ structuralism, top-down/bottom-up strategies, Whole Language/Phonics. These are only examples, if you can build a panel around another topic, feel free! Panel speakers should establish a brief theoretical framework before beginning discussions about real-life scenario.

Workshops: 30 min teaching demonstration sharing innovative language pedagogy.
Applicants should provide a specific lesson plan outlining the teaching objective and activities that the audience will participate in.

Posters: A visual representation of research.
Proposals for Presentation, Panels, & Workshops can choose to also apply to the poster session. Posters will be judged by faculty and awards will be given at the end of the Roundtable!

All proposals should be submitted electronically.
Please see our website for submission instructions:
http://w3.coh.arizona.edu/slatroundtable