Sri Lanka: Avoiding teaching grammar in communicative classroom

Francis Hult francis.hult at utsa.edu
Tue Nov 17 00:34:17 UTC 2009

Daily News

Avoiding teaching grammar in communicative classroom

When I introduced the Speech-fronted program to the new entrants of the Faculty of Arts, University of Colombo, there was a burning question that came from all quarters: coordinators of different sorts, teachers who taught in the program and others who were not in the program raised a question: Aren't you going to teach grammar? My answer was "No!" Then I added, grammar is taught not the way we used to do before, that is, giving all the grammar points long before students feel the need to use them but as and when students require them to carry out a task.

Full story:

http://www.dailynews.lk/2009/11/16/fea04.asp