Klingon Language Acquisition

Francis Hult francis.hult at utsa.edu
Wed Nov 18 17:53:51 UTC 2009

MNDaily.com

Local company creates Klingon dictionary

Ultralingua creates translation software in various languages for Mac and PC.

With the birth of his son 15 years ago, dedicated linguist d'Armond Speers embarked on the ultimate experiment: He spoke to him only in Klingon - the language of the alien race of "Star Trek" fame - for the first three years of his life.

"I was interested in the question of whether my son, going through his first language acquisition process, would acquire it like any human language," Speers said. "He was definitely starting to learn it."

So when Ultralingua, a dictionary, translation and grammar software company in Dinkytown, honored requests from customers to create applications for a Klingon dictionary, they turned to Speers, a self-employed software consultant.

Full Story:

http://www.mndaily.com/2009/11/17/local-company-creates-klingon-dictionary