Learning Chinese with "Ni Hao, Kai-lan"

Francis Hult francis.hult at utsa.edu
Mon Oct 26 20:51:56 UTC 2009

Wired

Learning Chinese with "Ni Hao, Kai-lan"

If you have kids, I imagine it's impossible not to know who Dora the Explorer is, even if you haven't seen the show yourself, because she seems to be absolutely everywhere. Kai-lan is a newer entry in the genre, introduced in February 2008. Now in its second season, "Ni Hao, Kai-lan" features a Chinese-American girl, her grandpa (YeYe) and several animal friends. In addition to teaching the Chinese language, however, Kai-lan aims to teach kids a bit of multiculturalism as well. For instance, some of the episodes I've seen involve empathizing with the character who's upset or unhappy, and trying to see things from their perspective. (Has Dora ever tried that with Swiper?)

Full story:

http://www.wired.com/geekdad/2009/10/learning-chinese-with-ni-hao-kai-lan/