Songbirds Offer Clues to How We Learn Language

Francis Hult francis.hult at utsa.edu
Mon Apr 5 20:59:27 UTC 2010

US News & World Report

Songbirds Offer Clues to How We Learn Language

When we hear a song for the first time, it often seems like it goes in one ear and out the other, sometimes only few catchy words from a chorus leaving much of an impression.

<http://ad.doubleclick.net/click;h=v8/3973/0/0/%2a/l;44306;0-0;0;41846451;32414-468/648;0/0/0;;~okv=;kw=animals;kw=biology;kw=science;kw=APScience;sz=468x648;tile=2;pos=xxlA;~aopt=2/1/4f/0;~sscs=%3f>

But when the Australian zebra finch hears its father sing for the first time, those simple melodies activate large, complex gene networks in the bird's brain, according to new research by an international team of scientists that includes researchers from Washington University and the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign.

Full story:

http://www.usnews.com/science/articles/2010/04/01/songbirds-offer-clues-to-how-we-learn-language.html