US: Education and the Language Gap

Francis Hult francis.hult at utsa.edu
Mon Dec 13 23:58:36 UTC 2010

US Department of Education

Education and the Language Gap: Secretary Arne Duncan's Remarks at the Foreign Language Summit

This week, we found out that the brutal truth that we're being out-educated. On the 2009 Program for International Student Assessment, the United States scored as average in reading and science - and below average in math.

We're behind global leaders such as Finland, South Korea, and Canada. The most surprising news is that Shanghai outscored every other nation. We see this as a challenge to get better.

And one place we obviously need to get better is in teaching languages. The United States is a long way from being the multi-lingual society that so many of our economic competitors are.

Full text:

http://www.ed.gov/news/speeches/education-and-language-gap-secretary-arne-duncans-remarks-foreign-language-summit