Arizona: In teaching English, schools know best, lawmaker says

Francis Hult francis.hult at utsa.edu
Tue Feb 9 16:19:54 UTC 2010

The Sierra Vista Herald

In teaching English, schools know best, lawmaker says

State mandates on how school districts teach English language learners keep local officials from adopting systems that can most effectively address the needs of their students, a state lawmaker says.

"To say that one size fits all sometimes may work, but sometimes it does not," said Rep. David Gowan, R-Sierra Vista. "I think we need to look at alternatives so that children don't fall behind."

Full story:

http://www.svherald.com/content/no-child-left-behind-act/2010/02/04/teaching-english-schools-know-best-lawmaker-says