Tibetans' mother tongue faces tide of Chinese

Francis Hult francis.hult at utsa.edu
Wed Jul 14 16:35:13 UTC 2010

The Washington Post

Tibetans' mother tongue faces tide of Chinese

Teenager Dawan Dunjhu is Tibetan and lives in Tibet, but says that if his friends and classmates can't master Mandarin Chinese, they have little hope of a professional future.

"I want to be a lawyer, and for me Chinese plays a very important role both in my life and my study," Dawan Dunjhu, 16, told Reuters during a government-organized visit for foreign media to Tibet.

Full story:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/07/13/AR2010071306848.html