US: Don't scrub language tests in New York

Francis Hult francis.hult at utsa.edu
Sun Jul 25 00:12:36 UTC 2010

Stargazette.com

Don't scrub language tests in New York

The New York State Association of Foreign Language Teachers is vehemently opposed to the proposed elimination of the eighth grade Second Language Proficiency and the Regents exams for languages other than French and Spanish. The following points provide the basis for our opposition:

The association supports an early start to language learning and encourages continued language study beyond the minimum requirement in order to prepare our students to meet the challenges of today's global community. If the proficiency exams are eliminated, many schools have already indicated that they will go to a minimally compliant model, starting language in the eighth grade and delaying a student's opportunity to study language and to develop language proficiency.

Full story:

http://www.stargazette.com/article/20100723/VIEWPOINTS02/7230304/1121/Don-t-scrub-language-tests-in-New-York