US: English Language Learners and the Power of Personal Stories

Francis Hult francis.hult at utsa.edu
Fri Jun 11 17:04:19 UTC 2010

The New York Times

English Language Learners and the Power of Personal Stories

We've asked Larry Ferlazzo, a prolific blogger and Twitter user who has written a recent book called "English Language Learners: Teaching Strategies That Work," to do a guest post for us today.

More than five million children in the United States enter school each year speaking a language other than English. That amount is expected to grow to 25% by the year 2025. It's not surprising, then, that we hear from readers regularly that the more we can offer for this group, the better.

Full story:

http://learning.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/06/10/english-language-learners-and-the-power-of-personal-stories/