Scotland: Asylum seekers' hardships challenge a new English language teacher in Glasgow

Francis Hult francis.hult at utsa.edu
Thu Jun 17 20:59:35 UTC 2010

The Guardian

Asylum seekers' hardships challenge a new English language teacher in Glasgow

Cameron Hodgson is learning how difficult life is for refugees in his first teaching job working with students struggling to adjust

What keeps you motivated? Knowing something about the hardships that asylum-seekers face. Until I started teaching this group, I hadn't realised what kinds of ordeals many go through. They are still being hidden away on boats with no idea of their destination and with almost no perception of their opportunities. It makes me think how lucky I am.

Best teaching moment? When students approach me after class with questions relating to their situation. They might need help with forms for college or housing applications. It gives me the feeling that some good has come from my lessons.

Full story:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/2010/jun/17/asylum-seekers-teaching-english