US: Theater performs plays in the Creek Language

Francis Hult francis.hult at utsa.edu
Thu Jun 24 15:23:44 UTC 2010

Native American Times

Theater performs plays in the Creek Language

Billy Chalakee remembers growing up as a young Muscogee (Creek) boy listening to his grandparents and parents talk in their Native language.

Even the family's church sermons were delivered in Creek. But Chalakee, 72, never really caught on to the language.

"I never did pick it up," he said. "No one ever stopped to teach me. I knew some of the words when they asked me a question or talked to me, and I could understand what they said. But as for getting into conversation, I couldn't pick it up."

Full story:

http://www.nativetimes.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=3804:theater-performs-plays-in-the-creek-language&catid=43&Itemid=19