US: Computer programs replace foreign language teachers in N.J. classrooms after budget cuts

Francis Hult francis.hult at utsa.edu
Mon Jun 28 18:21:22 UTC 2010

NJ.com

Computer programs replace foreign language teachers in N.J. classrooms after budget cuts

"Having a (world language) teacher in the classroom is always the best. But in these times, we need to look to other ways to deliver what we do," said Superintendent Daniel Fishbein. He said Ridgewood saved just under $200,000 by cutting three Spanish teaching positions. He estimated the computer program, called Rosetta Stone, cost about $50,000.

Full story:

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2010/06/computer_programs_replace_fore.html