US: Program uses cyberspace to reach in-demand Chinese instructors

Francis Hult francis.hult at utsa.edu
Tue May 11 22:40:48 UTC 2010

The Philadelphia Inquirer

A new way to study abroad

Program uses cyberspace to reach in-demand Chinese instructors.

The cyberspace program, MyChinese360, is believed to be the only Chinese-language course in the United States that conducts real-time lessons via Web cam with instructors halfway around the globe.

It's also a powerful example of how schools are trying to prepare students for the global economy of the 21st century, despite a great wall hindering Chinese language instruction in the United States - a dearth of teachers.

Quakertown signed up for the program at a cost of $600 per student in September, taking its cues from the kids.

"We asked them, 'Why Chinese?' " Superintendent Lisa Andrejko said. "They go, 'There are six billion Chinese people.' They look at you like, 'Why wouldn't we want this?' They seem to be more in tune with what's going on in the world than adults are."

Full story:

http://www.philly.com/inquirer/local/20100509_A_new_way_to_study_abroad.html