CARLA Summer Institute July25-29, 2011- Early registration until May

Noriko Ishihara ishi0029 at umn.edu
Wed Apr 27 14:55:30 UTC 2011

Developing Learners’ Sociocultural Competence
July 25-29, 2011, CARLA Summer Institute, University of Minnesota,
Minneapolis

A truly daunting challenge for second language learners is to adjust their
language use so that it is appropriate for different sociocultural contexts.
How, for example, are learners supposed to address strangers, close friends,
or people of higher social status in that culture? While acquiring discourse
practices can take learners many years, research has shown that the process
can be facilitated through explicit instruction.

This institute provides practical insights for teachers on how to enhance
the learning of pragmatics. Participants will have hands-on opportunities to
develop activities and materials for the classroom.

Testimonials from a 2010 participant:
At this institute I learned the theory behind the practice and came away
with tools that I can put to use right away with my students.

Facilitator:
Noriko Ishihara, PhD, Hosei University/Columbia University Teachers College
Japan Campus

Readings include a reading packet and:
Ishihara, N., & Cohen, A. D. (2010). Teaching and learning pragmatics: Where
language and culture meet. Pearson Education

More information about this institute is available on the
CARLA website at:
http://www.carla.umn.edu/institutes/2011/CARLA_SI_LangCultureSync.pdf

Information about registration:
http://www.carla.umn.edu/institutes/register.html

Less commonly taught languages teacher stipends:
http://www.carla.umn.edu/institutes/stipends.html

Early Bird registration closes at the end of May.

Noriko Ishihara
Hosei University, Associate Professor of EFL/TESOL
Columbia University Teachers College Tokyo, Adjunct Professor of TESOL
Email: ishi0029 at umn.edu
Website: http://www.i.hosei.ac.jp/~ishihara/