Bengal pays homage to 'Language Day' martyrs

Francis Hult francis.hult at utsa.edu
Mon Feb 21 18:41:25 UTC 2011

Sifynews

Bengal pays homage to 'Language Day' martyrs

Programmes were held in the rest of the city to commemorate the day. Local television channels and FM radio stations aired special programmes on the occasion.

At a gathering in College Square in central Kolkata, intellectuals called for efforts to protect the Bengali language.

'Language is the basis of the society. Literature and culture depend upon language. For a developed society we must strive to protect our mother tongue. Sadly enough Bengali as a language is on the decline. We must do something to protect our beloved mother tongue,' said poet Tarun Sanyal

Full story:

http://www.sify.com/news/bengal-pays-homage-to-language-day-martyrs-news-national-lcvvOnbhcgd.html