Conference: Theory and Data in the History of Education: A Cross-Cultural and Cross-Generational Exc

DAVID M. BALOSA dmb65 at psu.edu
Wed Jul 27 21:21:43 UTC 2011

<http://wwwen.uni.lu/> //

              <http://wwwen.uni.lu/research> //

			                <http://wwwen.uni.lu/flshase> //

<http://wwwen.uni.lu/research/flshase/languages_culture_media_and_identities_lcmi> //

              <http://wwwen.uni.lu/research/flshase/languages_culture_media_and_identities_lcmi/news_events> //

          Conference: Theory and Data in the History of Education: A Cross-Cultural and Cross-Generational Exchange

An international conference on Theory and Data in the History of
Education: A Cross-Cultural and Cross-Generational Exchange organised by
 the research unit LCMI will be held from 25 to 26 August 2011 at the
University of Luxembourg (Campus Walferdange).

The aim of this conference is to develop a forward motion for a broader
endeavour in the field of the history of Education within the larger
domain of educational research. First we want to establish an ambitious
vision for what educational histories should be, grounded in our
analysis of the problem with current work in the field. This ambition is
 grounded in the problem that researchers from Continental Europe
usually do studies that are long on theory and short on data while we
have the opposite case within the research field led by American
educational historians. We see the need to weave these two partial
approaches together and at the same time to internationalize our field.
In pursuing these goals, the proposed conference will bring together a
small group of established and emerging scholars from America and Europe
 with the intent of forging a new consensus across this cultural and
epistemological divide while developing a new generation of scholars for
 whom this kind of consensus will become business as usual.

The conference is the third of an extended series of conferences along
the same lines, building on an initial program launched in 2009 at the
University of Berne and followed by a second edition in 2010 at Stanford
 University.

Program available

<http://wwwen.uni.lu/content/download/37375/455519/file/Theory_data_hist_educ.pdf>

 .

Organizing committee:

Daniel Tröhler, Thomas Lenz, Ragnhild Barbu, Sofia Pacheco, Diana Gonçalves (Luxembourg)

Scientific committee:

Karin Priem (Luxembourg), David Labaree (USA), Fritz Osterwalder (Switzerland), Tom Popkewitz (USA), Peter Voss (Luxembourg)