AAAL 2012 Rejection Rate and Alternative Prospects

Francis Hult francis.hult at utsa.edu
Thu Nov 10 22:53:22 UTC 2011

Dear colleagues,

The AAAL conference this year saw an unusually high number of submitted proposals.  It appears as though a decision was made to lower the acceptance rate in order to keep the number of presenters similar to previous years rather than increase the size of the conference.  This resulted in what seems to be an unusually high number of rejected proposals.

In my conversations with folks, including well established researchers who regularly attend AAAL, many have expressed disappointment at not being able to present their work at the 2012 conference.  This revived an idea that I have long had for an Educational Linguistics Symposium so I thought I would take a poll to see if there might be interest in holding such an event concurrently with AAAL in Boston this March (24-27).

If you submitted a proposal for AAAL that was not accepted and would be interested in participating in an Educational Linguistics Symposium, please contact me off-list at Francis.Hult at utsa.edu .  For the time being, please respond only if you already submitted to AAAL.  We can then discuss whether it would be useful to open an inaugural event to a broader pool of presenters.

This is just a poll to gauge interest...no specific plans or promises (yet).  If there is enough interest, we can move forward to explore the logistics and details.

Please feel free to pass this note along to any other colleagues who might be interested.

Best,

Francis

--
Francis M. Hult, Ph.D.